Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Cupcakes... aka "really? No eggs?"


Today I took some advice from the book my parents got me for Easter entitled "29 Gifts" by Cami Walker.

I gave stuff away.

I made some vegan cupcakes (from the other book they got me, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World) and set out on my journey to delivery strawberry yumminess to the world. Here are a few of the interactions that took place over my day:

Adam - after receiving a text/ facebook message that he would be getting his hands on some vanilla cupcakes with strawberry buttercream frosting, Adam and I played text tag to see what the best delivery system would be. He works downtown and didn't want me to have to drive down, I was coming down anyways, we could just see eachother at the Y for water polo, etc. All together a fairly comical interaction that makes me smile.

Jordan - the same text/facebook message that Adam got, and this time a home delivery system seemed most effective. Comically enough, this could have solved the Adam text tag as, SIGH, they are room-mates.

Mike - didn't want me to have to drive down town just for him, but I did anyways. In the meantime a friends life exploded and I was close enough for a visit due to the delivery location of Mikes treat. Funny how that works. He was also instrumental in a comical message left for Paul.

Paul - First I tried his wife to get his number. Then asked Mike. Then didn't know if he got my text. Then Mike left a message that dutifully informed him that the two cupcakes in my car might melt if he didn't get them quickly, and that one was for his wife... but as she didn't know that yet he may be able to get away with eating them both. Unfortunately for him, I have now tagged said wife in the facebook photo of said cupcakes, so she knows she is supposed to get one. And yes they melted a bit, but no I didn't eat them as we may have threatened. We still have yet to figure out this delivery.

Steven - as with any exploding life, cupcakes help. So when I met Steven for a coffee, before he made fun of me for not being able to eat anything in Starbucks, I bestowed upon him a sweet treat. It made him smile, and as with all of my baking, it was filled with love and I think that helped. Sometimes we just need people to agree with what we already know inside, and I agree that Steven, you rock, things will get better, and yes, I'm sure there's no butter in there.

Melissa - Today I got a first glimpse of my long-time friend Mel's workplace. On the grand tour I met a few people of interest... one whose dad was a pilot in the airforce and lives near where a friend and I hiked last fall, one who had a pouch of Vega on her desk, and one who really doesn't get the whole vegan thing, but will try to understand if I bring a tray of cupcakes next week. I will do my best to win over the hearts and minds of meat eaters via sugar.

Kristi - She called me a goddess when she saw the photo. Yes that makes me feel awesome, no I don't care if I shouldn't need outside praise, and yes, I am a goddess. So is she. And that may be what I name this version of these cupcakes.

John - He has to work tonight, and I don't, so maybe I can remove some of the sting of that pain with some pink frosting.

And so most of the cupcakes are accounted for. I ate one myself as I refuse to send something out into the world that I wouldn't eat myself.

I'm still vibrating.
The world is as it should be again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home