Thursday, January 19, 2006

Work Ethic, OR Am I a Farm Kid?

I hope no one takes this as a rant, but more of a vent.

I have come to learn over my 23 years that I am a hard worker. I am not perfect by any means of the word, and I know all the things I need to work on in my life, but a work ethic is not one of them. Maybe we thank my parents for making me do the dishes after dinner, or clean the bathroom once a week. Maybe it was cadets, making me responsible for myself and my subordinates, that gave me the need for completion and near perfection of the things I do. Maybe some people are just born with it, have it as a part of their personality.

I have found that it brings out the best and the worst in people.

I wonder what it is that is in a person that makes them see me and either a) complain that I make them look bad and find more reason to slack and complain or b) follow my lead and take pride in what they do.

I think Bender said it best when he was speaking with people at work about who WJ would hire if he were on a interview board. He simply said "People with the heart of a farm kid." And there it is. All the qualities we wanted; hard working, respectful, willing to make sacrifices, and the ability to take direction (without feeling insulted) were there. But how many farm kids are left. Sure you get the odd one that has the heart and was just born in the wrong postal code, but who is out there bringing our these qualities in people?

I can tell you one thing though, there are a few different reasons why Olds Sqn has been top squadron so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home