Thursday, December 31, 2009

First Vegan Meal - and shopping fun!

Okay folks, I know you may hear this from veggie friends and such, and rarely believe them, but I think I am currently eating one of the yummiest meals that I have ever made.

I didn't use any recipes, I just turned down the suck and gave'r. Here is what I ended up with:

BLACK BEANS WITH LEEKS
-1 can black beans
-1 whole leek, chopped up with my shiny new 'slap chop' (which rocks BTW)
-italian seasoning to taste
-1 Tbsp olive oil
Threw it all in a pot and stirred and heated and simmered while I did other things

BOK CHOY WITH MANDARIN ORANGES
-2 large bok choy leaves, chopped into manageable pieces
-2 manadarin oranges
-1 Tbsp olive oil
Threw it all in a cast iron frying pan and stirred and heated and simmered while I did other things

BROWN RICE
-made to specs on the bag, but with no salt and Earth Balance buttery spread. Added more earth balance when I served it. (Cooked the rice while I did other things... you seeing a trend?)

Threw it all on a plate and accompanied it with some green tea (more Christmas presents!)
Mike just looked at me, then the stove, then nuked some leftover pizza ;)

One of the 'other things' I was doing was slicing up sweet potatoes for the random spices+oliveoil+sweetpotatoes concoction that I am going to bring to the cabin at Silverstar tonight so I have some awesome munchies that are still reasonably good for me.

I also am making a spread sheet of prices for things I think I will be getting often... surprises/general life awesomeness I experienced today are as follows:
1- Bok choy is cheap. Like, SUPER cheap. New staple - check!
2- There are a billion different types of soy/rice milk. I am guessing I will have to do some taste testing before I find my fave.
3- there is vegan chocolate that is amazing! who'd a thunk it!! (I got Terra Nostra, dark truffle centre ricemilk choco. YUM)
4 - Leeks are cheap too. Use 'em like you would an onion, but with more nutrition! EPIC!
5 - Chick peas must be soaked overnight, then cooked for about an hour the next day. NOTE TO SELF - get the canned type if you need them ASAP, but watch the fricking ridiculous salt content of canned beans.
6 - I need a rice cooker.

So there we have it. First action day. I hope you learned something, even if it is just that Mike likes pizza.

PEACE OUT!




1 Comments:

At 15:19, Blogger Unknown said...

Good job, Britt! Three more books to read: Skinny Bitch-Freedman/Barnouin;Quantum Wellness-Kathy Freston;Easyweigh-Allen Carr. The planet thanks you! And I thank you for the recipes and info.
Have a great New Year's celebration. Hola from Cuba!
Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home